A mum says she was left feeling sick after a McDonald’s cock-up resulted in her biting into chicken in her ‘spicy veggie’ wrap.
Vegetarian Maisy Mason, 20, says she is a regular McDonald’s customer so she went to the branch on Exeter High Street for her ‘go-to’ lunch order on Tuesday.
Maisy tucked into her wrap which she claims she quickly discovered had chicken in by mistake.
She said: ”I just dived straight into the wrap and after taking a bite I knew.
”I have had a bit of tummy ache today, I can’t point the finger at McDonald’s but there’s a good chance I feel ill because of the chicken.”
Maisy from Exeter, Devon, says she grabbed her lunch from the fast food chain as she was home alone with the baby and didn’t have time to make anything.
She said: ”I always order from McDonald’s so I didn’t even think to check what was in it before I ate it.
”I’ve called their customer services today (January 26) and they have offered me a £10 voucher.
”I am not really happy with that to be honest – I don’t think it is acceptable.”
However Maisy said that despite the surprise chicken discovery, she continued to eat the wrap after removing the meat.
In response to the incident, a spokesperson for McDonald’s said: ”We absolutely recognise that it is not acceptable to serve meat when a vegetarian product has been ordered, and we sincerely apologise to the customer for the mistakes that were made in this case.
”We take order accuracy very seriously and have a number of procedures in place to avoid inaccurate orders.
”We are disappointed that we fell short of these on this occasion.
“When the customer brought this matter to the attention of our restaurant team we immediately apologised and offered a replacement meal. Our Customer Services team has also been in contact with the customer.
”Following an investigation the restaurant confirmed this was a case of human error and all staff have been reminded of the importance of order accuracy and of the correct procedures when serving a customer with specific requirements.”